I hate to Eat & Run but…

Winter Running Outfit
That is a total lie, I would love to eat and run. The truth is, I would love to run. Sometimes, something has to be taken away from you for you to totally appreciate it. That thing, the one that’s been taken away from me, is running. I could run in a gym. I’ve done it before, but it’s really not the same as outdoors. In the Salt Lake Valley we are blessed every Winter with the “INVERSION”, which means that it is freezing and the air is so bad they ask you not to exercise outdoors. Normally I ignore this warning but as I am still getting over the flu, I think it is best to listen to the experts.

And so, instead of running, I am doing the next best thing and reading a book from one of my running heroes, Scott Jurek, and planning outfits for when the snows comes to clean the air out. From the left, Eat and Run, Stella McCartney for Adidas Run Performance Jacket, Stella McCartney for Adidas Stirrup Legging and last but not least, Nike Free Run 3.

The Nike’s are a shoe I have really mixed feelings about, on the one hand, Nike, is always a struggle for me ethically, on the other hand, I like the shoe. I ran my first and only marathon in them, but again on the other hand, the insoles gave me incredible blisters. And so, I think it may be time to move on to another lightweight shoe. Suggestions?

Are there any activities you are missing this Winter?

• Ashley January 8, 2013, 11:46 AM

I miss riding bikes with my Hubbs. I blame it on winter but really it has more to do with our move next month and the fact that our bikes are blocked with boxes. Hope it warms up soon so you can start running!
    Ashley recently posted..Be a better bloggerMy Profile

• Britton January 8, 2013, 11:57 AM

Being able to run a 10K (or at least a 5K) is one of my goals for the year. I’m a beginner so I’m working with the Couch to 5K app. I’m hoping I’m able to reach my goal! I’m currently on week 3 and my time is getting better every day! :-)
    Britton recently posted..Motivational Monday: BLM Get Fit Challenge!My Profile

• mskristiina January 8, 2013, 1:27 PM

Nice! That is awesome. The couch to 5k is a great program!

• Leah January 8, 2013, 12:39 PM

Running is one if my goals too- but it’s pretty cold here for a wimp like me to be running outside. But I like your idea of reading and thinking about the outfits;)
    Leah recently posted..Good times, good friendsMy Profile

• Alyssa January 8, 2013, 2:48 PM

Please let me know if you find a great running shoe! I was all set to ask for your review on the Nike’s until I finished reading and realized you’re not sold on them. I need to find a shoe I love to run in. Right now I’m just wearing my old New Balances. They’re fine, but more of a walking shoe.
    Alyssa recently posted..30 x 30; HeadstandMy Profile

• mskristiina January 8, 2013, 2:58 PM

If you run so you land on the ball of your foot, the Nike frees are awesome for 10 mile and shorter runs. But for longer, I don’t like them because the bottoms of my feet start to swell and the insoles are too much.

If you have a running store near you I would have them watch you run and recommend a shoe based on your stride. Hope that helps!

• Carli January 8, 2013, 4:34 PM

I am a total pool person and I’m always sad when it’s winter! I love the whole look but sorry no thoughts on the shoes. :-)
    Carli recently posted..Baby Anna Born In CarMy Profile

• Nellie January 8, 2013, 6:17 PM

I WANT! Sometimes I don’t know how I feel about nike but I can’t lie, they have a lot of cute stuff! Take your time getting over the flu!! When I was sick a few weeks ago all I wanted to do was work out but my body said no way. You will be back at it in no time! Let us know how the book is!
    Nellie recently posted..2013: My One WordMy Profile

• Sweet Sarah January 8, 2013, 6:51 PM

Whoa – those are some interesting looking leggings! :) Love your list!

-Sarah
    Sweet Sarah recently posted..The Most Thoughtful GiftMy Profile

• Sarah January 8, 2013, 8:20 PM

I have these super light weight Saucony’s and I LOVE THEM! I am a beginner but many of my friends are long time runners and they also think Saucony is one of the best brand of running shoes out there. What I miss in the Winter? Walks outside. I love taking long walks with my best friend. Great exercise, good conversation and great company!
    Sarah recently posted..Lazy SundaysMy Profile

• Anna January 10, 2013, 12:53 AM

I missed running so much after I got injured. This year I plan on doing a 14km run and then in August a half marathon.

I have some Reebok ZigTechs which I got when I visited the States, they aren’t so great for walking but brilliant for my flat feet for running!
    Anna recently posted..Simple Guides to Simple Food: Roast PumpkinMy Profile

• Libby January 10, 2013, 12:12 PM

I love those Nike shoes… I have that pair in bright pink and they are the most comfortable shoes I have for walking! I am not a runner but I do walk and they work great for that too! :) I came from SITS and your blog is awesome… so glad I found you!