{Kris + Kristiina} Vegan Crab Cakes + Brussels Sprout Hash

Guys! I’m not sure why it took me so long to think of this new series. But, duh. My name is Kristiina. I adore Kris Carr and all her books. I should obviously cook my way through Crazy Sexy Kitchen and blog about it. I mean really, duh. So for the first installment in this series, please excuse the crappy lighting. It was a cloudy day. I had to start with the Crab Cakes because, wow, the thought of vegan crab cakes, blew my mind. I haven’t had crab in years, I don’t even know how many.

Vegan Crab Cakes from Crazy Sexy Kitchen

This is an incredible recipe. The hearts of palm give you the texture of crab and the nori gives you the flavor. I followed the recipe to the T with one tiny exception. I used gluten-free bread crumbs instead of panko crumbs. The crab cakes are listed as an appetizer in Crazy Sexy Kitchen. To make them a main dish, I served them on a bed of greens with red baby potatoes and a Brussels sprout hash.

To make the Brussels sprout hash you need:

• About a pound of Brussels sprouts shredded
  • 1/2 C pine nuts
  • 2 T coconut oil
  • 1 C cherry tomatoes cut in half
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced
  • 1 shallot minced

First, start to brown the garlic and the pine nuts in 1 T of coconut oil. Then add the shallots. Once the shallots are clear you can had the shredded Brussels sprouts and the rest of the coconut oil. Mix to cover the sprouts in oil and cover over medium-low heat. Leave for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally so they don’t burn. Add the tomatoes and cover again on low. They’re ready once the sprouts are bright green and soft.

brussels sprout hash

Yum. I decided to serve the crab cakes with red potatoes and dill because for some reason, that feels like something that should go with seafood.

Vegan Crab Cakes Dinner

All in all it was an amazing dinner and I totally suggest you try it out. I only wish we had a bottle of white wine to go with it.

Betcha never thought of using hearts of palm as crab meat. Any other plants you use as meat substitutes? I’m also a fan of jack fruit instead of pork.

• another jennifer October 16, 2013, 1:26 PM

Darn it. My husband was trying to figure out what to do with our fresh Brussels sprouts last night. Too bad I didn’t see this post a day earlier!
    another jennifer recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: Sunset After SoccerMy Profile

• Pary Moppins October 16, 2013, 1:38 PM

I wonder if you could substitute walnuts for the pine nuts (not a huge fan of pine nuts)? That hash looks awesome and we love sprouts!
    Pary Moppins recently posted..Brookshire’s Coupon Matchups & Deals 10/16 – 10/22/13My Profile

• RageMichelle October 16, 2013, 3:40 PM

Okay, these look amazing. I think I will have hubs make them for me.
    RageMichelle recently posted..Awkward: Super Hero LevelMy Profile

• Ramona October 16, 2013, 9:07 PM

The red potatoes and dill come from your Mummu (grandmother) of course! That’s what she likes to serve with fish (and lots of dill ON the fish too). The brussels sprout hash looks delicious – I’m going to try it.

• Kate October 17, 2013, 5:27 AM

Great idea for a series!
    I’ve never had crab cakes but I’m keen to try as I experiment more with food nowadays! They look delicious.
    Kate recently posted..How Do You Express Love?My Profile

• luminousvegans October 17, 2013, 9:53 AM

Yes! I love those crab cakes! This is definitely my kind of meal.
    luminousvegans recently posted..The Vegg: Vegan Egg Yolk so Realistic I Was All WhoaMy Profile

• rika@veganmiam October 17, 2013, 12:35 PM

I used to love crab cakes and always have them around before I became a vegan. I think the best nearly authentic crab cake I had was at Veggie Grill. The Brussels sprout hash looks tasty with the crab cakes :) Miam!

• mskristiina October 17, 2013, 8:15 PM

Yum! I’ve never been to Veggie Grill but if I go I will totally try them.

• The Dose of Reality October 18, 2013, 4:22 PM

Okay, I know you said you didn’t like the lighting, but those pictures look good to me!! In fact, they look so good I am now starving. It’s been so long since I’ve had anything like this. I’m not a big crab fan, but vegan crab cakes….yes please!! Honestly, I am going to have to go make my dinner right now because my stomach is growling. YUM!!!

• Laura Townshend October 25, 2013, 4:21 PM

I LOVE crab. And crab cakes? They are the cat’s meow. :-)

Every ingredient your recipe has, however, is also something that I dig. (especially the Brussels sprouts and pine nuts) What a great recipe and THANKS for sharing it!

Mmmmmm…
    Laura Townshend recently posted..Comment Policy on Big Grey Horse MediaMy Profile

• Erin (from itsTidyTime.com) October 29, 2013, 5:12 AM

I just woke up and these are making my tummy rumble!! Delicious!

• Laura Hardy October 30, 2013, 1:51 PM

wait, where is the crab cakes recipe? Am I blind? I would LOVE to make these, crab cakes were a goner to me I thought, but alas, someone has figured them out.

• mskristiina October 30, 2013, 1:56 PM

Oh I can’t post it because it would be copyright infringement…