How to Fishtail Without a Loom

So, you know those rubber band looms you’re seeing everywhere? Oh you don’t hang out in the kids craft section. Weird. You are missing out, it’s awesome. If you aren’t ready to invest $12.99 to try to loom out, never fear, I have figured out how to do the fishtail pattern without actually owning a loom.

How to make rubber band bracelets without a loom.

How to fishtail without a loom supplies.

To make it you will need:

How to make rubber band bracelets without a loom 1

You’ll start out by twisting one band around both of the pencils as shown above. Then, you want and two more bands without twisting.

How to make rubber band bracelets without a loom 2Next you will pull the bottom band from the side, up over the top of the pencil to the middle of the two pencils. Then, add-on another rubber band.

How to make rubber band bracelets without a loom 3

Repeat what you did before and lift the both band over the pencils, slap on another band, rinse, repeat! You’re fishtailing with pencils instead of a loom!

How to make rubber band bracelets without a loom 4

When it gets to the length you would prefer, instead of adding a new band, just lift the bottom band over the top. You’ll only have one left on the pencils. Use a “c-clip” and pull the remaining band off. Then, connect it to the end of your bracelet. Boom! All done.  Easy wasn’t it?

• Jasmine [fake name] January 13, 2014, 6:18 PM

i love the idea you did but i use my hands

• mskristiina January 13, 2014, 6:20 PM

I tried that but it was making my fingers hurt so I switched to pencils. You must have tiny hands! Thanks for stopping by!

• Samantha January 18, 2014, 10:12 AM

My daughters got looms for Christmas. My 13yo luvs it but this may be better for my 6 yo. Nice post. Thanks…
    Blog luv from the SITS Girls Sharefest.
    Samantha recently posted..Fifty Shades of Grey-Inspired Insane…My Profile

• mskristiina January 18, 2014, 2:10 PM

Or if they have a friend over that needs one :) Thanks for stopping by Samantha!

• Ashley January 27, 2014, 10:53 AM

These look so cool!! I teach a class of 10 year olds and I think they would love these! Do you think 10 year olds would be able to catch on and make them?
    Ashley recently posted..The swamp princessMy Profile

• nikki March 18, 2014, 8:51 AM

I read the directions, theres a couple typos…. im realllly bad with directions is there a different more simple way? Because with the typos im confused, other than that… great post… great idea!!!

• Jasmine June 5, 2014, 2:34 PM

i like the idea i might try it but i use my fingers it still turns out the same way

• micky June 6, 2014, 7:31 AM

Awesome
    I am 13 yrs old and I love making loom bands with all my friends and it gets every one closer to gether and its fun making them and talking with peolpe and it gets me and my family closer when we all do it in the loundroom
    Thanx for this awsome and new idea

• Emily June 6, 2014, 9:51 AM

How did you loop the bottom band over the other untwisted bands? Great instructions, I think I may be mis-interpreting them! Thanks anyway!